This is not my own idea, I saw it somewhere, thought it was cool, tried it, and am passing it on. They are pretty easy to make.
Here is what you need: Cotton balls Dryer lint Petroleum jelly Straws Pliers Lighter Bobbie-pin Ziploc bag
Here is what you do: 1) Place cotton balls, dryer lint, and petrol jelly in ziploc bag (pull the cotton balls apart before putting them in the bag). Close bag, mix contents until the material is saturated with jelly.
2) Cut straws into 2" sections. Hold one end closed with the pliers, leaving about an 1/8" exposed. Melt the 1/8" section with the lighter, and flatten against pliers with the lighter shroud.
3) Pull material from bag, and roll into long thin cylinder shape, feed into straw, compact with bobbie-pin until 1/4" from end. Melt open end in the same manner you melted the other end.
To Light: Cut fire starter in half, pull out material, fray so you have a larger surface area, use fire steel or anything that throws a spark to shower the material with sparks. It will catch fire very easily.
Take newspaper, roll into 3 or 4 inch tightly wrapper rolls, tie with twine and leave a tail, dip in paraffin (wax). Waterproof & long burning.
That is a great idea, but I fear that unless you place in a plastic ziploc bag or some such it may make a mess of other items in my BOB, plus if left in my car stash, the wax will melt and make a mess.
These straws are easy to throw into any bag, do not melt, and are submersible.
I took the same ingredients (lint, cotton balls, and Vaseline) and shoved them in an old cleaned out Rx bottle. The bottle keeps them dry and prevents leaking. When I need to start a fire, I just pull out a wad and light it.